I suggest you ...

Add ignore/exclude filter for resx files

Enabling MLAT for a project sucks in all resx files found and creates localized resx files for all enabled languages, which can really bloat your project. Please add the possibility to exclude specific resx files from ever being added to XLIFF files and so that the localized resx files are not created.

Two scenarios:

1)
ASP.NET MVC with enity framework code first migrations. Enabling MLAT for such a project really bloats the project with localized, unneeded, RESX files being created for every migrations, which can be hundreds. The XLF file also gets bloated with migrations data, that must manually be set to non translatable. This must then be repeated every time a new migration is added.

2)
Windows Forms project with a lot of forms, where only a handful are to support translation. Same issue here, as above, creates a lot of unnecessary files for resx files that should not be translatable and bloats the XLIFF files. In my case I have like thousands of rows in the XLIFF file and finding and setting only the translatable ones to translatable would take me forever, instead of being able to exclude specific RESX files altogether.

As it is now, MLAT is almost unusable for some projects, but it works fine for other small app projects with limited number of RESX files.

9 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Joel FjordénJoel Fjordén shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Louis-Philippe PerrasLouis-Philippe Perras commented  · 

I would be willing to test a private build for this feature. It is annoying with Entity Framework migrations.

Thanks,
        Louis

• Cameron LerumAdminCameron Lerum (Sr. Software Engineer, Microsoft) commented  · 

Joel,

I think I can provide a workaround by adding and looking for an attribute on the source resource file in the project file - RESX in this specific case. If I can do this, would you be willing to run a private build and provide feedback on the workaround?

My current thinking is to add a SuppressAutomaticLocalization element at the flag. Something like this:
        <EmbeddedResource Include="Properties\Resources.resx">
        <SuppressAutomaticLocalization>true</SuppressAutomaticLocalization>
        </EmbeddedResource>

This would need to be added after MAT is enabled, but before languages are added. Once applied, the source resource file would be ignored when languages are added as well as by MAT's build process.

Please let me know.

Thanks,
        Cameron

Feedback and Knowledge Base