General

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. The translation of the App Toolkit's own interface to german is horrible

Maybe this is the preview only, but the translation of the App Toolkit's own user interface elements to german are obviously machine-generated and just horrible. This is not a good "business card" for an internationalization toolkit.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    • Support import of xml format

Since multilanguage support have been hard and no Microsoft provided solution have been good enough every developer have find their own way or reused someone else idea. What I have found is that some kind of xml base solution is mostly used. Therefore I wish for an xml importer feature. Whit some kind of wizard where the user can state where the name of the resource is (attribute or element) and where the value are (content of element or attribute). I wish that this functionally works for all languages added to the application not only the “main”-language.
      As a good…

29 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

We have considered making an extensible import / export model that would allow customized file formats / mappings. This is not a high priority work item since XLF and CSV are support and easily parsed. Adding to the product backlog of feature to consider.

• Add filter to ignore Images/Icons/... from .Resx file

I have a Resources.resx file where not only Strings were added but also Images and Icons.
        (first button upper left when you open a .resx file in Visual Studio 2015).

In the Multilingual Editor you should have the same option that you only see the Strings and not the Images, Icons, ...)

9 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
        • Detect unused resources

in many large projects, there are some resources that are not actually used, but difficult to detect manually.
          It would be useful if the tool is able to detect that in order to eliminate unnecessary translation work.

9 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Admin →
          • Editor does not support direct XML encoding/decoding

When working with the editor, both source and converted value will shown encoded XML value. If your original string contains HTML or other "must be encoded" values readability is difficult and what you see can be weird.
            Inside the editor, it would be nice to have original and converted values decoded and than encoded again while saving. This will improve user experience.
            Suppose your original string is <strong>software<strong/>
            Xlf file handle this correctly encoding it this way
            &lt;strong&gt;software&lt;strong/&gt;
            but in the editor you see the same ugly string.

36 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
            • Create a landing website for translators

Create a webpage on microsoft.com that says "Welcome, translator! Here's how to start translating that crazy XLF file someone gave you!

1. Install this editor <link>
              2. Click some buttons etc
              "

Don't get into technical jargon or code; just target the friendly person who knows two languages and only needs to use the MAT editor.

Include general tips for translating ("don't translate word-by-word; watch out for machine-translated homonyms, etc")

Include a video that shows how to use the MAT editor, and a suggested workflow (when to mark a string as Final, etc).

4 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

I see the value and have floated the idea with some folks internally. However I can’t commit to this workitem at this time. I am leaving it as under review to see the number of votes it received as an indication of larger scale desire for the portal.

• Don't show the "Multilingual app toolkit" menu item when right-clicking on any random thing in the solutin

MAT is great, but I don't need to see its menu items *everywhere*. Only show the MAT menu item where it's actually useful, i.e., on the xlf files.

7 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

I will look into tuning the menu visibility based on votes.

Note: There are some limitations as the menu needs to be visible in several scenarios. This is also the potential for negative menu performance as a scan of all sub trees of any selected items (e.g.: solution, multiple project) is needed to determine when to display / not display the menu.

• Import from resx, resw, resjson, and csv files so I can use translations from other non-xliff based projects.

I have apps with translations that are stored in resx and other file formats. I would like to use those string in my newer apps. Importing (or recycling as you call it) would allow easy access to my existing app translations.

71 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

CSV import is still planned, but other formats are downgraded to under review. We see the value, but there are several challenges with the request. We will look at additional solution in the future.

One of the problems that we face during any import is about translation content and alignment. For example, importing a translated RESX file into a project is not possible to do correctly. This is because the RESX format only contains a limited set of data required to do the work correctly. Assumptions can be made, but that is what they are. Key trouble points are: A translated resource is not linked with a source string, source language or even a target language. Even if we cross reference the main language resource file using the ID, we don’t know if the source string was changed since the RESX file was translated. Additionally, the process would not even…

• Next row shortcut does not work on German keyboard

Ctrl+< and Ctrl+> don't work on German keyboards

7 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • Support Windows, Windows Phone, iOS and Android via Xamarin/PCL

I want one set of translated XLF files for all my apps on Windows, Windows Phone, iOS and Android using Xamarin.

Portable Class Libary (PCL) support would probably solve this problem and many others I think as its the lowest common denominator.

The only problem I forsee is that it does not support Resw (If its targeted at all of the above platforms). Could there be some way around this? Resw allows the use of the x:Uid attribute and greatly helps with Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1 localization.

21 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                      • Do not aggregate "original file" ad ID information in a single column

Have another column for "original file" information, do not aggregate this information under ID

8 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          1 comment  ·  Admin →
                        • Respect NeutralResourcesLanguage and preserve XLIFF source-language

In my PCL project for globalization (Profile 111 for Xamarin) the NeutralResourcesLanguage is set to a non-English culture ("sv") in AssemblyInfo.

Opening an XLIFF file in the MAT editor does not recognize this; it still states "English" as source culture in the bottom left.

Looking at the XLIFF file source it does indeed have a specific culture set as "source-language" attribute of the "File" tag.

Changing source-language in each XLIFF allows me to run automated translation, but each time i rebuild it's set back to default (en-EN).

This is with Visual Studio 2015, always latest MAT (4.x) on Windows 10.

9 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                          • add translation of privacy policy, license agreement and the manually entered strings on the Windows Store descriptions and release notes

The privacy policy, license agreement and strings manually submitted to the Windows Store all need translating as well and this tool could likely do a good job. Text/light HTML support and some type of special XML file for the strings needed on the Windows Store web pages which unfortunately still need to be cut and pasted. An appxbundle with that XML and screenshots would make life easier some day!

5 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • The replacable {0} and {1} symbols are mangled when converted to Persian by the Machine Translation "Generate text ({0}x{1}) " is mangled

The replacable {0} and {1} symbols are mangled when converted to Persian by the Machine Translation for the following text: "Generate text ({0}x{1})

4 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                1 comment  ·  Admin →

This is a display issue in the editor, but the translation result is saved correctly.

The unmodified translation when used in a UWP, it works correctly. When it is used in WPF app it appears incorrect if the FlowDirection is not set to RightToLeft.

• Edit inside the grid

I now have to go up to the text box above to edit. While this makes sense for long texts, a lot of them are very short. It would be nice if I could edit those directly into the grid

2 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  1 comment  ·  Admin →

This is a design change in the flow of the editor, but I see the need to speed up simple editing.

Will setting the focus to the Translation field when the next grid item is selected either by the Ribbon navigation buttons or the Ctrl+< and Ctrl+> keys be a reasonable workaround?

• Should not translate interpolation markers

I often have interpolation markers in my texts such as "#{marker}". Those should be ignored when suggesting translations or generating the Pseudo-language translations. There should be an option in the toolkit, or even better project settings which patterns are basically "read-only" when it comes to translation and should always by copied over from the source instead of being part of the translated text.

4 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

The markup model for the toolkit is still being defined. The current workaround is to lock the text that should not be machine translated. It is understood that this approach has limitations. As we define the markup model, we are looking to reduce the manual effort and make this type of activity streamlined.

• Optional Source string overwrite

Hi, I saw you preserve the translated string when the source string changes. This might be cool for some scenarios but I prefer overwriting the string. I have some descriptions to put in the store images like Desc1:"Exploring through the map." Desc2: "Your personal trip". Sometimes I change them to Desc1:"Start screen" so the new translation has nothing to do with the previous one. Could you put an option as the "clear updated source warnings" like "mark new strings as new" and then when you generate the machine translations it translates it instead os preserving it?

Thanks.

8 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    • Divide ResourceID into categories

It would be great if one XLIFF file could be used for multiple resource files, so that it is easier to translate and see all translations at once, but namespaces would be preserved in code.

10 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      • Current active filter is not respected/applied

My State Filter is set to "New".

I translate a string which hass a state of "New". Thus I see iit in the "Strings"-view.
                                        I click on suggest. When accepting a suggestion the State goes to "Translated".
                                        If I go back to the "Strings"-view, the string should not be visible anymore as the State Filter is on "New" and not "New + Translated".

1 vote
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • Add suggestion translation feedback

On http://translate.bing.com you can press the good or bad thumbs icon if a translation is ok. Maybe it is a good thing to implement this also so that the Bing translations get improved.

1 vote
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)