General

1. Import from resx, resw, resjson, and csv files so I can use translations from other non-xliff based projects.

I have apps with translations that are stored in resx and other file formats. I would like to use those string in my newer apps. Importing (or recycling as you call it) would allow easy access to my existing app translations.

74 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    9 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Be compatible with latest VS 2017 RC version

MAT is listed in VS 2017RC "Extensions and update menu"; after installation, it doesn't show as Tool option menu to enable my project.
    It doesn't appear to be installed in the extensions folder in my hdd.
    This tool is so used in my everyday projects, I beg you to make it available for any evolution of VS from now on.

60 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. support line returns in the toolkit

sometimes there are line returns in the text that needs to be translated. the editor doesnt support this. when changing the xml by hand everything works fine. start support this in the user interface as well

29 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. 23 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. 22 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Command Line tool for creating PRI files runs every build

Every time I build with the MAT enabled, the tool runs.

It does not matter if my Resources.resw has not changed or if the .xliff files have not changed. It always runs on every build.

Further, it takes forever with a lot of languages and large resource dictionary and you can't cancel it midway through, so even if I hit Cancel Build, I still have to wait for it to finish.

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. fix the bug for WIndows 8.1 apps with scaled assets

when using the MAT toolkit in Windows 8.1 apps when having also scaled resources for the different scalings the resources are getting lost!

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Enable export for csv file format

While XLIFF is great, csv is used by some of the people is use for translations. Being able to export (and import) csv files would make my life easier.

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Traduction Accuracy

Hi I'm using the multilingual toolkit and it lacks consistency from the www.bing.com/translator. when I'm translating to spanish, I check the bing translator and it works pretty fine. But the Multilingual app toolkit doesn't have it's accuracy and it's embarrasing the level of translations it makes, Example:

WORD IN ENGLISH EXPECTED ACTUAL TRANSLATION

-Today -Hoy -Hoy en día
    -Opened -Abierto -Abrir
    -Adult -Adulto -Contenido adulto
    -Kids -Niños -Para niños
    -Artworks -Obra de arte -Ilustración

and so on....

Can you make the multilingual work as the bing translator web page works? Thanks.

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. The toolkit should not override Resw files that exist for other languages

Without File History switched on, I would have lost my already existing resource file with human translations while trying out the Multilingual App Toolkit. It is bad enough that the toolkit does not consider such existing translations, but overriding such files without confirmation seems unacceptable to me.

On a general note: For translating a Resw file into another language I would personally not even consider using a special tool. I was actually rather expecting the toolkit would pick up hard-coded strings in code to help with localisation of existing projects. Such functionality does not seem to be implemented.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

The latest version of MAT has been updated to preserve the previous translations. This happens automatically when an existing language is selected via the Add Translation Languages menu. The translation are moved into the XLIFF file and the target language resource files.

11. Please update MAT to eliminate error messages due to Microsoft DataMarket being retired

Since 2017/04/30, "Generate machine translations" displays an error message:

TranslateApiException: Invalid authentication token. Microsoft DataMarket is retired. Please subscribe to Microsoft Translator, in the Cognitive Services section at https://portal.azure.com. Please visit https://cognitive.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/1128340-announcements-action-required-before-april-30-20 to find detailed instructions. : ID=0824.V2_Soap.GetTranslations.4EEAF6E3

Please provide a way to at least eliminate the message, or even better, to restore the capability as hinted in the message.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Add ignore/exclude filter for resx files

Enabling MLAT for a project sucks in all resx files found and creates localized resx files for all enabled languages, which can really bloat your project. Please add the possibility to exclude specific resx files from ever being added to XLIFF files and so that the localized resx files are not created.

Two scenarios:

1)
    ASP.NET MVC with enity framework code first migrations. Enabling MLAT for such a project really bloats the project with localized, unneeded, RESX files being created for every migrations, which can be hundreds. The XLF file also gets bloated with migrations data, that must manually be…

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Allow us to resize or maximize window to pick languages

The window that allows us to add new languages can't be resized or maximized. Not a big deal - it's minor - but it can be annoying when trying to look at a large subset of language i.e. all those under English.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. MAT editor should start quicker

We have XLF files with 1000+ strings it. When double-clicking on such a file in Visual Studio, it takes 7+ seconds until the MAT editor appears. It's quite confusing if one double-clicks and nothing happens at first. Maybe load the actual XLF data asynchronously to improve app startup speeds?

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Windows 10 universall apps support

Right now we can't use this tool with windows 10 universal apps...
    "Tools>Enable Multilingual App Toolkit" is disabled when we choose win10 universal app project.

I think that everybody knows that in a new strategy: "win10 is a new generation and it's our super innovation and so on... and other blablabla"

It's not looks like a bug, because in the same time for windows 8.1 apps it's working.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Show full culture name on resource files and MAT

Hi, when uploading to the store there are no language ISO codes, it only shows "German", "Spanish" and sometimes it is really difficult the open the right translations file. For example i thought this file "Translations.el-GR.xlf" was German but it is not. It would be nice if in the Title header of MAT the full culture is shown.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Marking as completed even though the filename still use the ISO code. However, if you right click the XLF file in the Project and select MAT → Translation status Report, it will show the language’s display name as well as the translation status of that file, files, project, or solution

The Editor also show the display name in the lower left-hand corner (as well the filename in the title bar).

This should allow you to quickly identify the specific language without the need for a BCP-47 to readable name lookup

17. Search should filter list view

When searching for a special term, it might be beneficial to by default just show the filtered results in the list view instead of showing all rows.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

While Search did not change (much), the editor does have a couple of filtering features. On the main ribbon next to the search, you can filter based on translation state which will limit the view to only the translation states selected.

In addition, Ribbon’s Filter tab will allow you to input filter parameters similar to that of search. This filter will limit the view to only the items that match the input.

18. Prevent translation getting silently overwritten when source resx file entry is modified

The MAT now silently overwrites translations in XLF files (for instance the German translation) when I edit the original source resx file with English texts. We need kind of warning, a TFS like 'accept/reject' or whatever. See for more info http://dotnetbyexample.blogspot.nl/2013/12/understanding-multilingual-app-toolkit.html

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Create an easily accessible changelog soon after each release

I can never seem to find the changelog for new releases, even almost a week after the release of the new version. Could you possibly post new changelogs to the MSDN blog, Visual Studio extension page, or here on the UserVoice?

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Parallel Machine Generated Translations

I have an app that uses a few dozen translations. When selecting all of the files for machine translation, the toolkit processes each file one by one. Would it be possible to process the files in parallel? This would reduce my translation time by almost 98%.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3
  • Don't see your idea?

General

Categories