General

1. Provide an example using the MAT in the shared section of a Universal App

Rather than duplicating the resource and XLF files for a Universal App, place them in the shared section and provide a sample of how to do it.

117 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    18 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are change the model in v4.0, which is currently a Technical Preview. Once this v4.0 work is completed, it will allow enablement the Shared project. As such, the shared project will have its own set of XLF files, eliminating the duplication of the XLF files.

2. Add Support for Xamarin Studio on Mac

The ability to have this part of the build process from Xamarin Studio on Mac would make it so we could use this as currently we don't use Visual Studio to build our Xamarin Projects (iOS and Android).

55 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Make MAT Open Source

Make the Multilingual App Tookit open source for a faster, community-driven development.

42 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Editor does not support direct XML encoding/decoding

When working with the editor, both source and converted value will shown encoded XML value. If your original string contains HTML or other "must be encoded" values readability is difficult and what you see can be weird.
    Inside the editor, it would be nice to have original and converted values decoded and than encoded again while saving. This will improve user experience.
    Suppose your original string is <strong>software<strong/>
    Xlf file handle this correctly encoding it this way
    &lt;strong&gt;software&lt;strong/&gt;
    but in the editor you see the same ugly string.

40 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. fix convert problem '?xml' with embedded xml structure in resx file

When working with the editor, any used tablelayoutpanel in my winform has its own "LayoutSettings" data section in the ressource file.
    This section consists of a XML structure itself starting with a '?xml' statement. The editor can not process this!
    errormessage: "Convert file aWindow.resx to XLIFF format failed. Message:Unsupported processing instruction '?xml' found during encoding. Please remove unsupported processing instructions from the xml."

Is there a workaround.

39 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Support import of xml format

Since multilanguage support have been hard and no Microsoft provided solution have been good enough every developer have find their own way or reused someone else idea. What I have found is that some kind of xml base solution is mostly used. Therefore I wish for an xml importer feature. Whit some kind of wizard where the user can state where the name of the resource is (attribute or element) and where the value are (content of element or attribute). I wish that this functionally works for all languages added to the application not only the “main”-language.
    As a good…

29 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have considered making an extensible import / export model that would allow customized file formats / mappings. This is not a high priority work item since XLF and CSV are support and easily parsed. Adding to the product backlog of feature to consider.

7. Provide MAT as NuGet package

MAT should be available as NuGet package. It could provide its own .targets file to process the xlf files. The .NET Core 2.0 runtime (and its bundled msbuild) should be a good foundation for a port of MAT that also runs under Linux/MacOS.

28 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Support Windows, Windows Phone, iOS and Android via Xamarin/PCL

I want one set of translated XLF files for all my apps on Windows, Windows Phone, iOS and Android using Xamarin.

Portable Class Libary (PCL) support would probably solve this problem and many others I think as its the lowest common denominator.

The only problem I forsee is that it does not support Resw (If its targeted at all of the above platforms). Could there be some way around this? Resw allows the use of the x:Uid attribute and greatly helps with Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1 localization.

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    9 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Support Asp.net Core 1.0 projects

Current version don't allow user to enable multilingual on a Asp.net Core 1.0 project. (ASP.NET 5 is ASP.NET Core 1.0)

18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. 16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. xml-escaped characters in translation editor tool incorrect

An '&' in the resource string is shown as '%amp;' in the translation tool. This was found because we had a string in our resource table which was something like this "Pipe -> View" which is stored as "Pipe -&gt; View" in the resx file and ends up "Pipe -%%amp;gt; View" in the MAT editor.

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Do not aggregate "original file" ad ID information in a single column

Have another column for "original file" information, do not aggregate this information under ID

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Usability!

Perhaps I misunderstand the usage of this, but my experience is one of frustration. Installed it (msi rather than vsix, sigh). VS2015/Win10. Tried to enable, got a dialog that told me to look at the MAT output window, can't find that, finally realize that it just means the output window (do you have any idea how many different "windows" VS provides?). Vague error, google search, added NeutralResourcesLanguage setting to AssemblyInfo.cs ... really!? you couldn't have just told me that? Now it's "enabled" whatever that means, because the context menu for the project exists but all the options are disabled ("greyed…

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Divide ResourceID into categories

It would be great if one XLIFF file could be used for multiple resource files, so that it is easier to translate and see all translations at once, but namespaces would be preserved in code.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Next row shortcut does not work on German keyboard

Ctrl+< and Ctrl+> don't work on German keyboards

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Export translations to Android's strings.xml and to whatever ios uses

When working with a cross platform mobile app it would be useful to have all resources in PCL and translations at native app level (Android, iOS) as well to bind those at design time.
    For Android is a simple XML.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. asp.net core

Support Asp.net Core MVC 1.x projects

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Prevent MAT from re-writing all XLF files on every build when nothing changed

After adding MAT, my C# app project is being rebuilt every time, even if nothing has changed. This is super annoying and makes debugging really slow. I want to be able to hit F5, and the app should come up immediately, if it has already been deployed and nothing has changed.

Currenlty, MAT seems to re-write all XLF files during each build, even if nothing has changed in the resources. Now next time I hit "F5", VS sees that the XLF files have changed and will trigger a rebuild of the project. During that rebuild, the XLF files are re-written…

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Detect unused resources

in many large projects, there are some resources that are not actually used, but difficult to detect manually.
    It would be useful if the tool is able to detect that in order to eliminate unnecessary translation work.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. correct bug occuring when using search

I didn't notice what exactly was happening but when I retried to open the modified file few lines contents were swapped...

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3 4 5
  • Don't see your idea?

General

Categories