General

1. Allow some languages to be hidden behind build configurations

I want to hide some languages in Retail builds. qps-ploc should always be hidden from Retail, but so too should incomplete/partially-translated languages.

Today I accomplish that by manually hacking up my csproj file (see below) but it's error-prone and I'm fighting MAT. I'd prefer a MAT-provided GUI to select which languages go into which build configurations.

<ItemGroup>

&lt;XliffResource Include=&quot;MultilingualResources\App.pl-PL.xlf&quot; /&gt;

. . .

</ItemGroup>
    <ItemGroup Condition="'$(Configuration)' == 'Debug'">

&lt;XliffResource Include=&quot;MultilingualResources\App.zh-CN.xlf&quot; /&gt;

&lt;XliffResource Include=&quot;MultilingualResources\App.qps-ploc.xlf&quot; /&gt;

</ItemGroup>

<ItemGroup>

&lt;PRIResource Include=&quot;Strings\pl-PL\Resources.resw&quot; /&gt;

. . .

</ItemGroup>
    <ItemGroup Condition="'$(Configuration)' == 'Debug'">

&lt;PRIResource Include=&quot;Strings\zh-CN\Resources.resw&quot; /&gt;

&lt;PRIResource Include=&quot;Strings\qps-ploc\Resources.resw&quot; /&gt;

</ItemGroup>

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Improve compatibility with xliff2po

xliff2po [1] is part of a widely-used set of scripts for working with xliff (and other) files. Currently this tool strips comments from xlfs created by MAT.

The reason is that xliff2po only expects comments to be encoded as <note from="developer" . . ./>. However, MAT creates them as <note from="MultilingualBuild" . . ./>.

Unhelpfully, the XLIFF 1.2 spec doesn't seem to have much opinion on the matter; apparently the from attribute has no standard values [2].

Please find some way to interop with xliff2po -- either change MAT to output comments with from="developer" or work with the owners of…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Automatically remove empty lines at the end of translation

When I paste translations into the MAT and close the file there are often empty lines at the end of the translations, even if I have removed them. This messes up my UI. Please make a setting that automatically removes all the empty lines at the end of a translated string.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Edit inside the grid

I now have to go up to the text box above to edit. While this makes sense for long texts, a lot of them are very short. It would be nice if I could edit those directly into the grid

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is a design change in the flow of the editor, but I see the need to speed up simple editing.

Will setting the focus to the Translation field when the next grid item is selected either by the Ribbon navigation buttons or the Ctrl+< and Ctrl+> keys be a reasonable workaround?

5. Create a landing website for translators

Create a webpage on microsoft.com that says "Welcome, translator! Here's how to start translating that crazy XLF file someone gave you!

1. Install this editor <link>

2. Click some buttons etc
      "

Don't get into technical jargon or code; just target the friendly person who knows two languages and only needs to use the MAT editor.

Include general tips for translating ("don't translate word-by-word; watch out for machine-translated homonyms, etc")

Include a video that shows how to use the MAT editor, and a suggested workflow (when to mark a string as Final, etc).

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

I see the value and have floated the idea with some folks internally. However I can’t commit to this workitem at this time. I am leaving it as under review to see the number of votes it received as an indication of larger scale desire for the portal.

6. Don't show the "Multilingual app toolkit" menu item when right-clicking on any random thing in the solutin

MAT is great, but I don't need to see its menu items everywhere. Only show the MAT menu item where it's actually useful, i.e., on the xlf files.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

I will look into tuning the menu visibility based on votes.

Note: There are some limitations as the menu needs to be visible in several scenarios. This is also the potential for negative menu performance as a scan of all sub trees of any selected items (e.g.: solution, multiple project) is needed to determine when to display / not display the menu.

7. Add Ability to manually force a refresh of resources

As I described in https://multilingualapptoolkit.uservoice.com/forums/231158-general/suggestions/6020951-provide-an-example-using-the-mat-in-the-shared-sec

Environment: Win10, VS2015, Universal 10 (UAP Version 10.0.10586.0), MAT V 4.0.1605.0

Shared Project resw file changes are not being detected.

It would be nice if there was a way to manual force a refresh from the master/source resw file.

The manual refresh option puts control in my hands regardless of what bugs may exist, be uncovered or introduced in the future. I can refresh at will.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Multi-Editing should be possible

It would be nice that in the grid ( where marking of multiple items is already possible) one wold be able to enter one translation which then could be automatically entered to all marked items . This would be convenient if you have several translations to change which require the same text

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Can't delete a "CR LF"

While translating a single word I pressed by mistake the enter key. I delete it within the editor (there is no CR LF after the translated word) but it is still present at the xlf file. I was only able to delete the CR LF by editing the xlf with a xml editor but not with the Multilingual Editor.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Respect NeutralResourcesLanguage and preserve XLIFF source-language

In my PCL project for globalization (Profile 111 for Xamarin) the NeutralResourcesLanguage is set to a non-English culture ("sv") in AssemblyInfo.

Opening an XLIFF file in the MAT editor does not recognize this; it still states "English" as source culture in the bottom left.

Looking at the XLIFF file source it does indeed have a specific culture set as "source-language" attribute of the "File" tag.

Changing source-language in each XLIFF allows me to run automated translation, but each time i rebuild it's set back to default (en-EN).

This is with Visual Studio 2015, always latest MAT (4.x) on Windows 10.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. add translation of privacy policy, license agreement and the manually entered strings on the Windows Store descriptions and release notes

The privacy policy, license agreement and strings manually submitted to the Windows Store all need translating as well and this tool could likely do a good job. Text/light HTML support and some type of special XML file for the strings needed on the Windows Store web pages which unfortunately still need to be cut and pasted. An appxbundle with that XML and screenshots would make life easier some day!

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Simplified and Traditional Chinese are NOT imported NOR converted to RESX file

Simplified and Traditional Chinese are NOT imported NOR converted to RESX file

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. The translation of the App Toolkit's own interface to german is horrible

Maybe this is the preview only, but the translation of the App Toolkit's own user interface elements to german are obviously machine-generated and just horrible. This is not a good "business card" for an internationalization toolkit.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Add suggestion translation feedback

On http://translate.bing.com you can press the good or bad thumbs icon if a translation is ok. Maybe it is a good thing to implement this also so that the Bing translations get improved.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Current active filter is not respected/applied

My State Filter is set to "New".

I translate a string which hass a state of "New". Thus I see iit in the "Strings"-view.
    I click on suggest. When accepting a suggestion the State goes to "Translated".
    If I go back to the "Strings"-view, the string should not be visible anymore as the State Filter is on "New" and not "New + Translated".

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Strange <bpt /> and <ept /> tags in source in Multilingual Editor

asp.net mvc application.

Original resource is Dutch (nl) is:

"Ooit <b>Belgisch eerste</b> administratief pakket voor Windows,"

In Multilingual Editor for a suggestion this shows as:

Source:
    "Ooit <bpt id="1">&lt;b&gt;</bpt>Belgisch eerste<ept id="1">&lt;/b&gt;</ept> administratief pakket voor Windows,"

Translation:
    "Ooit <bpt id="1">&lt;b&gt;</bpt>Belgisch eerste<ept id="1">&lt;/b&gt;</ept> administratief pakket voor Windows,"

all the suggestions also include <bpt /> and <ept /> tags. Don't know where these tags come from. All I know is that my source + translations are wrong in Multilingual Editor and suggestions also.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Provide a how-to video for existing projects with .resx translations without MAT

Application using WinForms with several Resources.resx, Resources.nl.resx, Resources.de.resx, Resources.es.resx per form or usercontrol.

How do you add MAT to the project AND import and use the already translated strings from all the existing translated.xx.resx files?

For now it seems that only one default language is being used and the other existing.xx.resx languages are reset.

a quick how-to video would be great.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Add filter to ignore Images/Icons/... from .Resx file

I have a Resources.resx file where not only Strings were added but also Images and Icons.
    (first button upper left when you open a .resx file in Visual Studio 2015).

In the Multilingual Editor you should have the same option that you only see the Strings and not the Images, Icons, ...)

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Improve the Taskbar icon for Multilingual Editor in Windows 10

Small remark: In Windows 10 the taskbar icon is not good.
    The Windows 10 taskbar is black, if you pin the Multilingual Editor to the taskbar you can't see the logo because it is also black/gray.

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Remember editor window resize & state

It would be nice if the editor window size and state is remembered when reopening. Same goes for the panel within the editor window.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

General

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base