General

1. Have the translate feature handle placeholders

If your RSX string contains a placeholder, the translation service treats the placeholder as a literal and the translation is wrong. For example, use the following string

"You have already shared these students with {0}!"

When MAT translates it to French, ir comes back with

"Vous avez déjà partagé ces étudiants avec 0 euros !"

The correct translation would have been

"Vous avez déjà partagé ces étudiants avec {0}!"

Ideally, Cognitive service should handle this correctly, but since it doesn't, MAT should handle it.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Support Visual Basic SDK-style projects

It's not possible to enable the MAT for Visual Basic projects that are created in the new SDK style. The option in the menu to enable the MAT are simply disabled.

Since the project type GUID of Visual Basic SDK projects is a different one than the type GUID of C# SDK projects, my guess it that the GUID for Visual Basic SDK projects is simply missing in the list.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Provide MAT as NuGet package

MAT should be available as NuGet package. It could provide its own .targets file to process the xlf files. The .NET Core 2.0 runtime (and its bundled msbuild) should be a good foundation for a port of MAT that also runs under Linux/MacOS.

28 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Add Support for Xamarin Studio on Mac

The ability to have this part of the build process from Xamarin Studio on Mac would make it so we could use this as currently we don't use Visual Studio to build our Xamarin Projects (iOS and Android).

55 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Add filter to ignore Images/Icons/... from .Resx file

I have a Resources.resx file where not only Strings were added but also Images and Icons.
    (first button upper left when you open a .resx file in Visual Studio 2015).

In the Multilingual Editor you should have the same option that you only see the Strings and not the Images, Icons, ...)

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Do not aggregate "original file" ad ID information in a single column

Have another column for "original file" information, do not aggregate this information under ID

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Editor does not support direct XML encoding/decoding

When working with the editor, both source and converted value will shown encoded XML value. If your original string contains HTML or other "must be encoded" values readability is difficult and what you see can be weird.
    Inside the editor, it would be nice to have original and converted values decoded and than encoded again while saving. This will improve user experience.
    Suppose your original string is <strong>software<strong/>
    Xlf file handle this correctly encoding it this way
    &lt;strong&gt;software&lt;strong/&gt;
    but in the editor you see the same ugly string.

40 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Fix build breaks and improve perf in multi-targeting projects

When a .NET SDK style msbuild project sets its TargetFrameworks property instead of merely TargetFramework, it builds multiple times. When the resx files need to be updated, each of these target frameworks (that build in parallel) often end up crashing the build because each one runs MAT which tries to rewrite the same files and collides with file locks.

Instead, MAT should only do its work in the cross-targeting build (before the individual target frameworks build). This will reduce its perf impact on the build and avoid such breaks.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Support extensions for custom formats

Please add extension points to allow integration of custom formats in projects, such as application specific text resources (e.g. WiX Toolset localizations, or any other custom text resources) in Visual Studio.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Don't show the "Multilingual app toolkit" menu item when right-clicking on any random thing in the solutin

MAT is great, but I don't need to see its menu items *everywhere*. Only show the MAT menu item where it's actually useful, i.e., on the xlf files.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

I will look into tuning the menu visibility based on votes.

Note: There are some limitations as the menu needs to be visible in several scenarios. This is also the potential for negative menu performance as a scan of all sub trees of any selected items (e.g.: solution, multiple project) is needed to determine when to display / not display the menu.

11. Respect NeutralResourcesLanguage and preserve XLIFF source-language

In my PCL project for globalization (Profile 111 for Xamarin) the NeutralResourcesLanguage is set to a non-English culture ("sv") in AssemblyInfo.

Opening an XLIFF file in the MAT editor does not recognize this; it still states "English" as source culture in the bottom left.

Looking at the XLIFF file source it does indeed have a specific culture set as "source-language" attribute of the "File" tag.

Changing source-language in each XLIFF allows me to run automated translation, but each time i rebuild it's set back to default (en-EN).

This is with Visual Studio 2015, always latest MAT (4.x) on Windows 10.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. The replacable {0} and {1} symbols are mangled when converted to Persian by the Machine Translation "Generate text ({0}x{1}) " is mangled

The replacable {0} and {1} symbols are mangled when converted to Persian by the Machine Translation for the following text: "Generate text ({0}x{1})

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

This is a display issue in the editor, but the translation result is saved correctly.

The unmodified translation when used in a UWP, it works correctly. When it is used in WPF app it appears incorrect if the FlowDirection is not set to RightToLeft.

13. Create a landing website for translators

Create a webpage on microsoft.com that says "Welcome, translator! Here's how to start translating that crazy XLF file someone gave you!

1. Install this editor <link>
    2. Click some buttons etc
    "

Don't get into technical jargon or code; just target the friendly person who knows two languages and only needs to use the MAT editor.

Include general tips for translating ("don't translate word-by-word; watch out for machine-translated homonyms, etc")

Include a video that shows how to use the MAT editor, and a suggested workflow (when to mark a string as Final, etc).

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

I see the value and have floated the idea with some folks internally. However I can’t commit to this workitem at this time. I am leaving it as under review to see the number of votes it received as an indication of larger scale desire for the portal.

14. Edit inside the grid

I now have to go up to the text box above to edit. While this makes sense for long texts, a lot of them are very short. It would be nice if I could edit those directly into the grid

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

This is a design change in the flow of the editor, but I see the need to speed up simple editing.

Will setting the focus to the Translation field when the next grid item is selected either by the Ribbon navigation buttons or the Ctrl+< and Ctrl+> keys be a reasonable workaround?

15. add translation of privacy policy, license agreement and the manually entered strings on the Windows Store descriptions and release notes

The privacy policy, license agreement and strings manually submitted to the Windows Store all need translating as well and this tool could likely do a good job. Text/light HTML support and some type of special XML file for the strings needed on the Windows Store web pages which unfortunately still need to be cut and pasted. An appxbundle with that XML and screenshots would make life easier some day!

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. The translation of the App Toolkit's own interface to german is horrible

Maybe this is the preview only, but the translation of the App Toolkit's own user interface elements to german are obviously machine-generated and just horrible. This is not a good "business card" for an internationalization toolkit.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Detect unused resources

in many large projects, there are some resources that are not actually used, but difficult to detect manually.
    It would be useful if the tool is able to detect that in order to eliminate unnecessary translation work.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Add suggestion translation feedback

On http://translate.bing.com you can press the good or bad thumbs icon if a translation is ok. Maybe it is a good thing to implement this also so that the Bing translations get improved.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Current active filter is not respected/applied

My State Filter is set to "New".

I translate a string which hass a state of "New". Thus I see iit in the "Strings"-view.
    I click on suggest. When accepting a suggestion the State goes to "Translated".
    If I go back to the "Strings"-view, the string should not be visible anymore as the State Filter is on "New" and not "New + Translated".

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Improve the Taskbar icon for Multilingual Editor in Windows 10

Small remark: In Windows 10 the taskbar icon is not good.
    The Windows 10 taskbar is black, if you pin the Multilingual Editor to the taskbar you can't see the logo because it is also black/gray.

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1
  • Don't see your idea?

General

Categories